smelly adj : offensively malodorous; "a putrid smell" [syn: fetid, foetid, foul, foul-smelling, funky, noisome, putrid, stinking] [also: smelliest, smellier]
- , /ˈsmɛli/, /"smEli/
- Rhymes: -ɛli
- Having a bad smell.
- She was hesitant to remove her shoes, as her socks were rather smelly.
- In the context of "figurative": having a quality that arouses
- The detective read the documents and thought, "Something sure is smelly about this case".
- In the context of "figurative|computing": Of inferior quality.
- That smelly code needs to be refactored.
having a quality that arouses suspicion
computing: of inferior quality
smelly may be:
aromatic, bad, bad-smelling, effluvious, fecal, fetid, foul, fragrant, frowsty, frowy, frowzy, fulsome, funky, fusty, gamy, graveolent, high, ill-smelling, malodorous, mephitic, miasmal, miasmatic, miasmic, mildewed, mildewy, moldy, musty, nidorous, noisome, noxious, odorant, odored, odoriferous, odorous, offensive, olid, putrid, rancid, rank, reasty, reasy, redolent, reechy, reeking, reeky, repulsive, rotten, smellful, smelling, smellsome, stenchy, stinking, strong, stuffy, sulfurous, vile